If you are convicted of a DUI in Kansas, you must not drive during your suspension period and then you must have an ignition interlock device installed for a specific period, depending on your offense as follows:
- A first offense DUI – BAC under .15: license suspended for 30 days followed by 180 days with an ignition interlock device.
- A first offense DUI – .15 BAC or higher: license suspended for 1 full year followed by one year with an ignition interlock device.
- Second offense DUI – BAC under .15: license suspended for 1 full year followed by one year with an ignition interlock device.
- Second offense DUI – .15 BAC or higher: license suspended for 2 full years followed by 2 years with an ignition interlock device.
Steps to Obtaining a Restricted Driver’s License During Your Suspension:
Depending on the circumstances of your suspension, you may be eligible for a restricted driver’s license. You may apply to change the suspension to restricted driving with an ignition interlock device after serving 45 days of your suspension.
- Complete an Application to Modify Suspension to Restricted Ignition Interlock Driving Privileges (Form DC 1015).
- Write a check or money order for $100 to “Division of Vehicles.”
- Mail your application and fee to: Central Office Operations, Division of Vehicles, P.O. Box 12021, 915 SW Harrison St., Topeka, Kansas 66612-2021.
- If approved, you will receive a notice from the State to get your interlock installed.
- Make an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed by calling toll-free 800-499-0994.
- Guardian will verify your eligibility for an interlock with the DMV. Once your interlock installed, Guardian will give you a certificate confirming the installation.
Need an Ignition Interlock in Kansas? Start with Guardian Interlock®
Guardian Interlock offers complete installation and monitoring of an ignition interlock device on a wide range of vehicles to help you maintain compliance with Kansas driving restrictions.
- Most affordable interlock solution
- Accurate technology – no false positives
- Expert technicians to help you every step of the way
- Direct communication with the state monitoring authorities to reduce hassles and keep you in compliance with state reporting requirements
- 24/7/365 customer service, so you’ve always got the support you need