The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers an ignition interlock permit (IIP) to eligible applicants who need to drive to work while their regular licenses are suspended or revoked. After a DUI conviction, you may be eligible to drive after 15 days of your license suspension period for first time offenders. Subsequent offenders must wait 45 days. The IIP will be valid for six months (1st time offenders) or one year (subsequent offenders) and limited driving to work, school and interlock facilities.
Steps to Obtaining an Ignition Interlock Permit (IIP) During Your Suspension:
To be eligible for the permit, you must be a Nebraska resident, at least 18 years old, and have been issued a license (Provisional Operator’s Permit holders are not eligible for the Ignition Interlock Permit). To receive a letter authorizing the issuance of the appropriate driving document, you must:
- Call the Department of Motor Vehicles at 402-471-3985 to verify eligibility for the Ignition Interlock Permit (IIP). You can also check here. This is important, as details of DUI cases vary.
- Make an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed by calling toll-free 800-499-0994.
- Submit the Ignition Interlock Permit Application 2012. Submit this and proof of installation to the Department of Motor Vehicles in Lincoln (not to the Driver License Exam Station).
- Meet all other applicable reinstatement requirements for any other withdrawal actions on the driving record.
- Once the IIP has been authorized, you can go to any licensing station in Nebraska to get the IIP issued. Be prepared to furnish the Examiner with proof of birth date and identity and two (2) forms of proof of residence. Take the issuance certificate you get from the Examiner to the County Treasurer, pay the $47.50 fee and have the permit issued.
Need an Ignition Interlock in Nebraska? Start with Guardian Interlock®
Guardian Interlock offers complete installation and monitoring of an ignition interlock device on a wide range of vehicles to help you maintain compliance with Nebraska driving restrictions.
- Most affordable interlock solution
- Accurate technology – no false positives
- Expert technicians to help you every step of the way
- Direct communication with the state monitoring authorities to reduce hassles and keep you in compliance with state reporting requirements
- 24/7/365 customer service, so you’ve always got the support you need