New Jersey law states that first time DUI (driving under the influence) offenders whose blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.15 or higher, as well as offenders who refuse to submit to an alcohol test, must install an ignition interlock device (IID) in their vehicles for a period of six months to one year, starting immediately after license suspension has been served.
Steps to Reinstate Your Driver’s License After Suspension:
- You must complete your suspension and serve any applicable prison time.
- Go to a New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) center to find out the details of when to have your interlock device installed. You may be told to have it installed during your suspension
- Make an appointment to have your ignition interlock installed by calling toll-free 800-499-0994.
- Guardian will verify your eligibility for an interlock with the MVC. Once your interlock installed, Guardian will give you a certificate confirming the installation.
- Pay all fines. In addition to DUI fines, there are payments you must make to a drunk driving fund, a Neighborhood Services Fund, and an Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Fund
- Complete court-mandated community service hours and classes at Intoxicated Driver Resource Center. There is a program fee for the classes.
- Complete an alcohol screening and evaluation program.
- Pay restoration fee of $100 at MVC center, or by mail to New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, P.O. Box 140, Trenton, NJ 08650-0140.
- There is also a yearly surcharge of $1,000 to $1,500, depending on your record of offenses. Surcharges are assessed once a year for three years. An official surcharge notice will be mailed to the address on your MVC driving record. You can contact the New Jersey Surcharge Violation System by calling (888) 651-9999.
- You will receive your Notice of Restoration when requirements have been met.
- Once you have your license, come into your Guardian Interlock service center for regular monitoring. This is essential for proper maintenance of the program as well as a condition for keeping your license.
Need an Ignition Interlock in New Jersey? Start with Guardian Interlock®
Guardian Interlock offers complete installation and monitoring of an ignition interlock device on a wide range of vehicles to help you maintain compliance with New Jersey driving restrictions.
- Most affordable interlock solution
- Accurate technology – no false positives
- Expert technicians to help you every step of the way
- Direct communication with the state monitoring authorities to reduce hassles and keep you in compliance with state reporting requirements
- 24/7/365 customer service, so you’ve always got the support you need