The Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not offer any hardship, limited, restricted, or work licenses if your regular license has been suspended or revoked for DWI. You must wait out any suspension or revocation period before reinstating your license.
Rhode Island laws state that DWI offenders may be ordered to have an ignition interlock installed for one or two years once their license has been reinstated, depending on the driver’s record of offenses.
Steps to Reinstate Your Driver’s License After Suspension:
- Serve out any jail and suspension time.
- Once your suspension period is over, you need to apply for reinstatement through the Operator Control Division. You can contact the Division at (401) 462-0800 or by visiting: Operator Control Division, John O. Pastore Complex, Harrington Hall – Lower Level, 30 Howard Ave. Bldg. #58, Cranston, RI 02920
- During an Operator Control Division hearing, you will be assessed for reinstatement. Showing participation in drug and alcohol education programs or a driver safety course may improve your chances.
- When you receive approval for reinstatement, you will need to reapply for your license at your local DMV office.
- Show your reinstatement notice, identification, Social Security card, and proof of your address.
- Obtain SR-22 proof of insurance.
- Pay all fees and fines.
- If required, you may also need to have an ignition interlock device installed. Call an authorized ignition interlock provider and make an appointment to have an ignition interlock installed. They will verify your eligibility for an interlock. Once your interlock is installed, the installer will give you a certificate confirming the installation.
- Once you have your license, you will be required to bring in your vehicle to the interlock provider each month for the length of time you are required to have it.
Guardian Ignition Interlock Solutions
Guardian Interlock offers complete installation and monitoring of an ignition interlock device on a wide range of vehicles to help you maintain compliance with DUI conviction restrictions.
- Most affordable interlock solution
- Accurate technology – no false positives
- Expert technicians to help you every step of the way
- Direct communication with the state monitoring authorities to reduce hassles and keep you in compliance with state reporting requirements
- 24/7/365 customer service, so you’ve always got the support you need