Vermont License Recovery

The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers restricted driver’s licenses to eligible applicants who need to drive to work while their regular licenses are suspended or revoked. To be eligible, you must have an ignition interlock device installed, including an electronic log device, on every vehicle you own or which is registered to you.

Steps to Obtaining a Restricted Driver’s License During Your Suspension:

  • Serve your minimum suspension time.
  • Call the Vermont DMV at 802-828-2061 to ensure that you are eligible for a restricted license.
  • If eligible, the DMV will send you a packet of information in the mail.
  • Apply for a restricted license at the Montpelier DMV office. Pay the $125 application fee or $150 for an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL). NOTE: this is a yearly renewal cost.
  • Call an authorized ignition interlock provider and make an appointment to have an ignition interlock installed. They will verify your eligibility for an interlock. Once your interlock is installed, the installer will give you a certificate confirming the installation.
  • Obtain SR-22 or other proof of financial responsibility.
  • Obtain proof of enrollment in an alcohol and driving education program, approved by project CRASH. An authorized project CRASH agent will have to complete form TA-VL-81.
  • If your license was revoked or has been expired 3 or more years, you must take the eye, written, and driving exams prior to obtaining a restricted license. Call (802) 828-2061 for further information.
  • If you are taking your written test, then you will receive your restricted license that day after you pass the test and provide all your documents. If not, you can come to the DMV and present your completed paperwork. You will be issued your restricted license on the spot.
  • Once you have your restricted license, you will be required to bring in your vehicle to the interlock provider each month for the length of time you are required to have it.
Call Now Button800-499-0994